Our goal is to prevent tooth loss altogether, but sometimes it’s inevitable. In this article, I will be explaining dental implants, and why they have become the standard of care for replacing missing teeth when compared to other treatment modalities, such as dentures and bridges.
A dental implant is a titanium device that looks similar to a screw, which is surgically placed into the jaw bone in the area of the missing tooth. Once the the bone heals around the implant through a process called osseointegration, about 3 to 6 months after implant placement, the permanent crown may then be screwed or cemented to the implant.
Advantages of implants:
- Preservation of the bone and tooth structure
- Closely simulates appearance and sensation of natural teeth
- High long-term success rate (up to 98%)
- Procedure is relatively atraumatic
- Completely restores function
- Cosmetically superior to other options for replacing missing teeth
- Greatly increases retention and support for dentures
At Fashion Isle Smiles, we perform the complete implant process in house. If you or anyone you know is missing teeth or is tired of wearing loose-fitting dentures, come see us to find out how dental implants may change your life forever!