“Plant foods” simply refers to foods that come from plants, and include fruits, vegetables, grains, beans and peas. What are the more immediate benefits of plant foods? Plant foods are naturally lower calories but abundant in phytochemicals, fiber, vitamins and minerals, making them nutrient-dense. The presence of these essential nutrients provides the rationale for focusing on whole, unrefined, plant-based foods. Next week, we will expand on each food component with information you can share with your families to help increase their motivation to consume plant foods.
- Barclay AW, Petocz P, McMillan-Price J, et al. Glycemic index, glycemic load, and chronic disease risk—a meta-analysis of observational studies. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87:627-37.
- Campbell TM, Campbell TC. The Breadth of Evidence Favoring a Whole Foods, Plant-Based Diet, Part I: Metabolic Diseases and Diseases of Aging. Primary Care Reports. 2012; 18(2): 13-23.
- Carotenoids: Alpha-Carotene, Beta-Carotene, Beta-Cryptoxanthin, Lycopene, Lutein, and Zeaxanthin. Linus Pauling Institute website. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/carotenoids/#armd. Updated 2009. Accessed September 11, 2013.
- Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients. United States Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Library website. http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/food-composition/individual-macronutrients-phytonutrients-vitamins-minerals/macronutrients. Updated September 11, 2013. Accessed September 12, 2013.
- Dinkova-Kostova AT. Phytochemicals as Protectors Against Ultraviolet Radiation: Versatility of Effects and Mechanisms. Planta Med. 2008; 74(13): 1548-1559.
- Institute for Basic Biomedical Sciences. Center for Epigenetics Website. http://epigenetics.jhu.edu/. Accessed September 11, 2013.
- Kanarek RB, Mahoeny CR, Samuel P, Taylor HA. Effect of breakfast composition on cognitive processes in elementary school children. Physiology & Behavior. 2005; 85(5): 635-645.
- Lillycrop KA, Burdge GC. Epigenetic mechanisms linking early nutrition to long term health. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 26(5): 667-76.
- Micronutrient Information Center. Linus Pauling Institute website. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/. Accessed September 12, 2013.
- Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Functions Foods. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8354. Updated August 2013. Accessed September 11, 2013.
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Vegetarian Diets. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357. Updated July 2009. Accessed September 11, 2013.
- Story M, Neumark-Sztainer D, French S. Individual and environmental influences on adolescent eating behaviors. J Am Diet Assoc 2002;102: S40–51.