Immediate Dentures Newport Beach, CA
Immediate dentures, also known as temporary dentures, offer patients a chance to correct missing or extracted teeth without the wait. Dentists use this procedure to help people benefit from the form and function of dentures right away. Immediate dentures are an alternative to conventional dentures that can be placed directly after a tooth extraction procedure.
Immediate dentures are available at Fashion Isle Smiles in Newport Beach and the surrounding area. We use this procedure after a patient’s teeth are lost or require removal. Such dentures are often used as placeholders while waiting on conventional dentures.
Do not wait to correct your missing teeth. Call us at (949) 668-1624 to set up an appointment and learn if immediate dentures are right for you.
How Immediate Dentures Differ From Complete Dentures
Both conventional, complete dentures, and immediate dentures are custom-made for patients using a mold of their mouth. Full dentures are molded to the mouth after tooth extraction, and immediate dentures are molded before the extraction.
While this means immediate dentures may be made ready in advance, it also means the fit may be less than ideal. The gums and jaw may change shape following extraction as they heal, which may mean that the temporary dentures will require further adjustments. Immediate dentures may also be less affordable in many cases.
“Complete dentures are molded to the mouth after tooth extraction, and immediate dentures are molded before the extraction.”
When You Should Get Immediate Dentures
A patient may opt for immediate dentures when it would be inconvenient, damaging, or painful to live without teeth while waiting for permanent dentures. For example, a patient with a history of sensitive teeth may prefer to have temporary dentures following an extraction to protect the remaining teeth. The natural teeth will be subject to less pressure while eating as a result of the dentures.
However, the most common reasons for getting immediate dentures, according to the Foundation for Oral Rehabilitation, are aesthetic and social. Many people prefer not to live without teeth while waiting to be ready for complete dentures or implants. Immediate dentures provide a solution to this need.
“A patient may opt for immediate dentures when it would be inconvenient, damaging, or painful to live without teeth.”
The Immediate Dentures Process
The process of getting immediate dentures is similar in many ways to getting conventional dentures. The dentist makes a mold of the oral cavity and uses the mold to create the dentures.
The immediate dentures process differs primarily due to when it happens: before the tooth extraction. According to the University of Iowa College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics, it may take four to five visits to complete the fabrication process. The process involves making impressions, selecting teeth, and, in some cases, trying on the back teeth.
“The process of getting immediate dentures is similar in many ways to getting conventional dentures.”
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Immediate Dentures in Newport Beach, CA
Benefits of Immediate Dentures
Immediate dentures give patients an option to avoid going without teeth for an extended time. Fashion Isle Smiles can help advise patients on the benefits and drawbacks of temporary dentures on a case-by-case basis. These are some of the reasons someone may choose to receive immediate dentures:
- Instant results. The most significant benefit for many patients is the lack of a wait. Most people do not want to go a noticeable amount of time without being able to smile. Immediate dentures provide a way to skip the typical several-week wait during permanent denture fabrication.
- More comfortable following extraction. Temporary dentures can provide protection for patients with sensitive teeth or gums, making the recovery period following extraction more comfortable. However, the dentures need to be regularly adjusted to maintain comfort.
- More direct duplication of natural teeth. It is easier for a dentist to more accurately duplicate the shape, color, and arrangement of natural teeth while some are still present—especially significant for complete immediate dentures. For patients who want to preserve the quality of their smiles, this can be a substantial benefit.
“Immediate dentures give patients an option for avoiding going without teeth for an extended time.”
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Upon receiving immediate dentures, there are post-treatment practices that involve both care and maintenance to keep the dentures in place and functioning properly. Immediately after treatment, dentures should be kept in the mouth for at least 24-48 hours to allow the underlying tissues to better heal into the shape of the denture. After that, dentures should be removed to clean and when sleeping.
To keep the dentures clean and well-maintained, they should be kept in a cup or container filled with clean, cold water. They can be cleaned with salt water rinses as well. Ensure that the mouth is also clean before inserting the dentures. Finally, routine dental checkups should be adhered to in order to ensure that the dentures fit well.
“Immediately after treatment, dentures should be kept in the mouth for at least 24-48 hours to allow the underlying tissues to better heal into the shape of the denture.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Are immediate dentures right for everyone?
A. Not everyone is an ideal candidate for immediate dentures. Some patients should not receive them due to general health or specific oral conditions. A dentist can provide personalized advice on whether this procedure is the right choice for you.
Q. Do I need to get temporary dentures?
A. No, you do not typically need to get temporary dentures following an extraction. Some patients prefer them for aesthetic reasons. In some cases, a dentist may recommend them to help protect the healing area of the gums and any remaining teeth.
Q. Are immediate dentures partial or complete?
A. Immediate dentures may be partial or complete. If they are complete dentures, the dentist may extract the back teeth first to allow for a more accurate fit without any noticeable gaps. Partial dentures are usually fit based on bite impressions and adjustment.
Q. Are immediate dentures always temporary dentures?
A. According to WebMD, immediate dentures require significant adjustment, as the gums and jaw may move during the healing process. Generally, they should only be considered temporary dentures. However, in some cases, patients may keep them permanently.
Q. How soon after a tooth extraction procedure can I receive immediate dentures?
A. Immediate dentures can be placed immediately after tooth extraction because they are created beforehand. The only limiting factor is the healing of the extraction site.
Q. Where can I get immediate dentures?
A. Most dentists who provide dentures can also offer immediate dentures. Fashion Isle Smiles can give patients further information about immediate denture procedures. Ask about temporary dentures at least several weeks before the extraction.
Quality Dental Services Can Transform Your Smile
By visiting us as soon as possible, our team can help get you the professional treatment you need. Instead of waiting around and allowing the symptoms to get worse, we can provide you with treatment options.
Definition of Denture Terminology
- Alveolar Bone
- The alveolar bone is the bone surrounding the root of the tooth that keeps the tooth in place.
- CAD/CAM Dental Software
- CAD/CAM stands for computer-aided design and computer- aided manufacturing dental software that creates a detailed image of teeth to enhance the process for customizing various dental restorations.
- Denture Base
- The denture base is the part of the denture that connects the artificial teeth with the soft tissue of the gums.
- Intraoral Scan
- An intraoral can helps provide the necessary details and 3D imaging professionals need to ensure they create an exact restoration for the patient’s mouth.
- Reline is when a professional resurfaces the surface of the prosthesis with a new base material.
Learn More About Immediate Dentures
Immediate dentures are a great way to avoid the physical and social discomfort of missing teeth. Our team is ready to help you determine if this is a good option for you. Call Fashion Isle Smiles at (949) 668-1624 to set up an appointment in Newport Beach and learn more.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2021
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2021
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2021
About our business and website security
- Fashion Isle Smiles was established in 2013.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Orange County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Turtle Rock and Huntington Beach
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
If you have a mild to moderate misalignment and are considering clear aligners treatment, then it is helpful to understand what you can expect during the treatment process. Every patient has a unique experience, but there are many similarities that you can expect before your consultation visit. Clear aligners for adults offer a unique way to…
Many individuals are familiar with gum disease. What may be unknown, however, is the relationship of diabetes to problems with the gums. Diabetes is the result of multiple diseases within the body that accumulate from too much sugar in the bloodstream. Sugar often becomes the culprit that is responsible for an individual's gum disease. Continue…
A cosmetic dentist can use inlays and onlays in situations where a crown might be undesirable or unnecessary. Inlays strengthen the tooth's existing structure, and onlays cover the cusp of the tooth. Both are bonded on to restore tooth integrity and functionality in a natural-looking way. Inlays and onlays achieve many of the same results…
One of the most popular procedures performed by a cosmetic dentist is teeth whitening. Because in-office treatments deliver immediate results, many people choose to invest in this option to enhance their smile.Although this procedure is performed frequently, many patients are unaware there are steps to take before the appointment that can help ensure the results…