Leafy greens, such as spinach or kale, are low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals such as calcium and folic acid, which are necessary for maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
Black beans and cheese are also high in calcium and contain phosphorus, both of which are building blocks for your teeth’s enamel.
Sweet potatoes keep teeth healthy in a few different ways. Their texture makes them a natural abrasive that gently scrubs the surface of teeth. They are also rich in vitamin A and other antioxidants that fight inflammation and gum disease.
Try this recipe that brings together all three amazing ingredients:
Black Bean and Greens Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 10 ounces of a leafy green such as spinach or kale
- 1 10-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, baked until tender
- ¼ cup of sliced yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Paprika and pepper to taste
Directions: Bake potatoes and set aside. In a medium non-stick pan, add oil, onions and garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add black beans and stir. Add spices and greens and mix until greens are wilted.
Slice potatoes and fill with bean and greens mixture. Top with cheese and enjoy!
We love that this dish is easy to make, delicious and great for your oral health. Enjoy!